Sunday, January 27, 2008

My favourite breakfast

It's been part of my weekend morning ritual since the weather started to get cold. It's so delicious and easy I thought I'd share...

Ed's Apple, cranberry and cinnamon oatmeal

  • 1/3 cup quick cook oats (the bulk ones from the Wheat berry and I think Herb and Spice are from Ontario)

  • 1/2 apple (local from the organic farmers market - they still have them!)

  • 8 cranberries (from Upper Canada Cranberry)

  • 1 cup 1% milk (or 2/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup water if using 2%). From Organic Meadow. Not local.

  • cinnamon

  • maple syrup

  1. Remove the core from the apple cut into 1/2 inch pieces (no need to peel)

  2. Add to a small pot with the milk, oats, and cranberries

  3. Cook over medium/low heat until thick

  4. Add a shake of cinnamon and stir until combined

  5. Put in a bowl and pour on a bit of maple syrup. That's optional though. The apples make it pretty sweet already


On top of being easy and delicious, the best part is that the only garbage left is the apple core. And that goes in the composter.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Deah, Tym and I tried your breakfast this morning and WOW! I normally hate oatmeal but I'm super excited to have this again tomorrow. And most importantly, your recipe passed the stubborn 3 year old test - Tym had 2 big bowls full! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've eaten this a few times - yummy! Thanks Chef!

Anonymous said...

I am happy that everyone is enjoying this recipe. I just wanted to say that I invented it and taught it to miss efficiency.