Friday, March 7, 2008

This one's for the public servants

Canadian federal public servants that is.....

Did you know that it's possible to stop getting paper copies of your pay stubs and your annual pension statement?

I was really pleased to find that out today. I've been trying to reduce the amount of unnecessary mail I receive and my pay stub is right up there in terms of its uselessness. Waste of paper and subsequent waste of space as I diligently file it.

So I put a stop to it.

You can do so too by going to this site and clicking on 'Getting Started'.

Don't panic when it takes you to the SAKMS site. Just click on English and then either register or login with your Entrust profile (PKI). Once that's done you'll be redirected back to the PWGSC site. Now you'll need your superannuation number and your most recent pay stub to finish your registration.

When you are logged in you can then go to the Pay section and then the Pension section to cancel your paper copies.

And if you need any more incentive, how about this:
'publishing the annual Pension and Benefits Statement and the Pension and Benefits Guide uses up to 70 tons of paper each year'

FYI, the next pension statement printing happens in April.


Elise L. said...

Thanks Rachel! I cancelled mine and I'll get my partner to cancel his too. As well, I'm forwarding the info to the Green Team coordinator at work to further distribute it and letting friends in other departments know too.

Malice Blackheart said...

That’s refreshing. There’s far too much junk being generated by society on a daily basis, and I find it all so exhausting. Now I’m thinking I should figure out how to cancel all my bank statements. Wow, 70 tons of paper. That’s a lot.