Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How we are beating the heat

We are going through a bit of a heat wave here in Ottawa (it is currently 11pm and is still very warm outside: 25C with a humidex of 35C). We have a window A/C unit but we only turn it on when we are really desperate (a few nights every summer). We aren't feeling desperate yet so instead of A/C we/I have been doing the following to beat the heat:
  • turned on the furnace fan to circulate cool air from the basement (uses the same amount of electricity as a light bulb)
  • closed all the windows and curtains during the day
  • have a cool shower (or better a bath) before bed
  • put a damp face-cloth/flannel over my feet when I go to bed (if my feet are too hot I can't sleep!)
Right now it is a comfortable 26C in the house. I'm actually a little cold!

No comments: