- damson plums. For one jar you only need a half litre of plums.
- approx. 250ml of sugar
- approx. 750ml gin or vodka
- one litre glass jar
1. Fill a jar half full to 2/3 full with damson plums. Prick each plum with something sharp before adding to the jar. This helps release the juices. Alternatively you can freeze the plums first. I use frozen plums. It's way easier.
2. Add sugar so that it fills approx. a quarter of the jar
3. Fill jars to the top with vodka or gin. Screw on lid.
4. Shake jars once a day until the sugar dissolves. Store in a dark place for 3 months. Remove the plums. Enjoy!
The vodka/gin will keep for at least a year. It does not need to be refrigerated.
The alcohol steeped plums can be eaten - they make a nice boozy addition to a cheese board.
The vodka/gin can be enjoyed straight up, over ice, or in a mixed drink (with mineral water and a twist of lime is nice).