Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Plastic challenge - week 2



Recyclable Items
  1. Plasticized milk carton (part of the curbside program but unsure how it's recycled)

Non-recyclable Items
  1. plastic lined can (can is recyclable but the plastic lining isn't)

  2. plastic wrap from local cheese

  3. bag choc chips

  4. 1 piece saran wrap(was used to cover pie brought home from M&D's)

  5. remains of a scrubber (used to wash dishes)

  6. two labels from local beauty products (came in glass jars)

  7. plastic top from sour cream

  8. sticker removed from brother's guitar case (which I've adopted)

  9. top and security seal from vitamin bottle (glass)

  10. two cereal bags

  11. wrap from eye drop box and 4 eye droppers

  12. vitamin powder package

  13. top of cheese curd package

  14. misc plastic wrap (not sure what this is from)

  15. 3 plastic grocery bags (for garbage)


Total number of items = 25
Total weight of plastic stash = 4.75oz
Tally analysis

  • What items could I easily replace with plastic-free or less plastic alternatives?
    *milk (could buy in glass)
    *choc chips (could buy in bulk)
    *saran wrap from pie (could have brought a container to M&Ds)

  • What items would I be willing to give up if a plastic-free alternative doesn’t exist?
    *cereal (I could make my own granola)

  • How many of these items are from “convenience” foods that could be made from scratch with less packaging but might take more time to prepare?
    *sour cream?

  • What items are essential and seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
    *eye droppers. I hated using them but it was a bit of a necessity this week

  • What lifestyle change(s) might be necessary to reduce my plastic consumption?
    *make an effort to buy more food in bulk and maintain a good stockpile of food essentials to prevent last minute trips to our neighbourhood grocery store (which doesn't have any bulk food). E.g. choc chips

  • What one plastic item am I willing to give up or replace this week?
    *non-bulk chocolate chips

  • What did I do this week to avoid plastic?
    *Make cookies from scratch
    *Buy soap wrapped in paper
    *Brought my lunch to work most days and on days I didn't bought lunch from the deli that sells sandwich wrapped in paper.

3 comments:

Kif said...

What I really love about this, is the questions at the end:

- What items could I easily replace with plastic-free or less plastic alternatives?
- What items would I be willing to give up if a plastic-free alternative doesn’t exist?
- How many of these items are from “convenience” foods that could be made from scratch with less packaging but might take more time to prepare?
- What items are essential & seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
- What lifestyle change(s) might be necessary to reduce my plastic consumption?
- What one plastic item am I willing to give up or replace this week?
- What did I do this week to avoid plastic?

It really helps you evaluate your lifestyle, witness the steps you are taking, accept what cannot change, decide what can be and encourage you to make one more change a week. In this way, it doesn't seem so daunting a lifestyle change! What a great approach!

Rachel said...

Thanks Kif!

All the praise should be directed at Fake Plastic Fish though. It's her challenge I've been following and those are her questions.
She is the queen of plastic consumption reduction and has been doing this challenge for over two years now!
http://fakeplasticfish.com/

Kif said...

She is a great resource - thanks for the link!

How did it go for the rest of the year?

I am going to try and find some plastic-free alternatives this year. It's so hard when you are also trying to consider fair-trade, organic, health but from what I've read it looks like if you can dedicate the time/ learn new habits you will really find yourself eating better and more locally!

All the best!