Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cranberry ginger scones


I can't believe how easy these scones are to make. They were perfect for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast. I wasn't sure if the stone ground kamut flour would work as I've only ever eaten scones made with white flour before. But it totally did. In fact I think I prefer them to the ones made with white flour.

Here's the recipe:

3 cups flour (I used local kamut flour from Little Stream bakery)
1/3 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup organic butter (cubed)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (chopped) - I used ones from Upper Canada Cranberry
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp diced candied ginger
1/2 cup organic milk
1/2 cup organic yogurt (I used Pinehedge yogurt)

-Set oven at 400 degrees.
-Line a baking tray with parchment paper
-Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
-Put flour mixture in a food processor, add butter and process
-Add the 1tbsp candied ginger
-Mix yogurt and milk together
-Gradually add yogurt/milk mixture to the processor
-Turn dough out onto a floured surface
-Knead in cranberries and remaining ginger until just mixed (dough should be quite sticky)
-Form dough into a round about 1" thick and cut into 10-12 (triangles, squares, whatever shape you like!)
-Bake for 20-25 mins (until the tops are brown)

No comments: