Sunday, February 10, 2008

Garbage reduction time!

This one's been on the ol' to do list for a while. I think I've been procrastinating on it because I know its a problem here (we make a lot of garbage), but I don't know what to do about it.

We prepare most of our food from scratch. We buy very little food packaging (buy in bulk with my containers) and buy veggies at the market. We rarely buy anything other than food.

But still we make bags and bags of garbage each week.

As part of the Riot for Austerity I'm supposed to reduce the amount of garbage I produce by 90%. The average Canadian generates about 16.1 lbs of garbage PER PERSON, PER WEEK. A 90% reduction would mean 1.6lbs of garbage PER PESON, PER WEEK.

All we have done so far to reach this goal is to switch to cloth hankies (no kleenex) and stopped using paper towels.

In order to figure out what else we could do I am going to pay close attention to the garbage we make each day for the next few weeks.

In the meantime I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try putting garbage in your tenant's trash and it won't count against your goal - he won't notice either!